Careem is building the Everything App for the greater Middle East, making it easier than ever to move around, order food and groceries, manage payments, and more. Careem is led by a powerful purpose to simplify and improve the lives of people and build an awesome organisation that inspires. Since 2012, Careem has created earnings for over 2.5 million Captains, simplified the lives of over 50 million customers, and built a platform for the region’s best talent to thrive and for entrepreneurs to scale their businesses. Careem operates in over 70 cities across 10 countries, from Morocco to Pakistan.
About the role
We’re hiring a Staff Software Engineer I in our Dubai office to join our geographically distributed Search team. You will help build out our next generation search platform which will power some of Careem’s verticals (food, groceries and quik). The platform solves complex query understanding across our merchants’ catalogs and inventories as well as across the Super App itself.
What you’ll do
- Work closely with engineers across many teams to architect and build highly scalable and robust backend applications and services.
- Write and review high quality, performant and reliable code.
- Continuously improve the quality and reliability of services and help define and enhance the patterns and principles that the team follows.
- Become the subject matter expert in your area and collaborate closely with Product Managers to understand and refine functional specifications.
- Mentor and guide junior members of the team
- Participate in team agile and engineering practices and lead their continuous evolution.
- Work closely with other engineering leaders to create and follow the tech vision for the team
- Experience with Lucene and/or ElasticSearch/SOLR.
- 8+ years of professional software development experience.
- 2+ years of experience leading the design and architecture of new and existing services.
- 4+ years of experience mentoring software engineers.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Computer Science or other related technical field.
- Extensive experience working with at least one modern object-oriented programming language such as Go, Java, C#, C++, Golang, Kotlin.
- Experience designing and building large scale, distributed applications including making tradeoffs in architecture and functionality in a cloud environment.
- Experience operating production systems including defining metrics and processes for deploying changes to production reliably in live systems.
- Solid understanding of software engineering best practices, including coding standards, code reviews, source control management, build processes, testing, and operations.
- Background in Ecommerce search engines.
- Experience with Kafka, Golang and AWS.
- Experience working with container technology including Docker and Kubernetes.
- Experience working in a high-paced start-up environment.
What we offer
- Meaningful work in a purpose driven organization.
- Competitive compensation including equity.
- Unlimited vacation.
- Fitness reimbursements for health activities including: gym, health club and training classes.
- A diverse and inclusive environment with colleagues from 80+ countries.
What we’ll provide you
We offer colleagues the opportunity to drive impact in the region while they learn and grow. As a Careem colleague you will be able to:
- Work and learn from great minds by joining a community of inspiring colleagues.
- Put your passion to work in a purposeful organisation dedicated to creating impact in a region with a lot of untapped potential.
- Explore new opportunities to learn and grow every day.
- Enjoy the flexibility that comes with the trust of being an owner; work in a hybrid style with a mix of days at the office and at home, and remotely from any country in the world for 30 days a year with unlimited vacation days per year.
- Access to healthcare benefits and fitness reimbursements for health activities including: gym, health club and training classes.