About the Job
Careem is building the Everything App for the greater Middle East, making it easier than ever to move around, order food and groceries, manage payments, and more. Careem is led by a powerful purpose to simplify and improve the lives of people and build an awesome organisation that inspires. Since 2012, Careem has created earnings for over 2.5 million Captains, simplified the lives of over 50 million customers, and built a platform for the region’s best talent to thrive and for entrepreneurs to scale their businesses. Careem operates in over 70 cities across 10 countries, from Morocco to Pakistan.
We are looking for an experienced Staff Engineer to lead the design and development of systems that power Careem’s Food business. You will design, code, test, and launch backend and product features in partnership with engineering groups including backend, product managers, product designers and data scientists. You will have a chance to work on cutting-edge technology and with a diverse set of talented individuals across many geographies.
What you’ll do
- Work closely with engineers across many teams to architect and build highly scalable and robust backend applications and services to support our fast-growing business.
- Write and review high-quality, performant and reliable code.
- Continuously improve the quality and reliability of services and help define and enhance the patterns and principles that the team follows.
- Become the subject matter expert in your area and collaborate closely with Product Managers to understand and refine functional specifications.
- Enhance the Engineering culture in Careem by promoting best practices. Proactively mentor and guide junior members of the team. Represent the team in different engineering forums in Careem.
- Work closely with other engineering leaders to create and follow the tech vision for the team.
- 8+ years of professional software development experience.
- 2+ years of experience leading the design and architecture of new and existing services.
- 4+ years of experience mentoring software engineers.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Computer Science or other related technical field.
- Extensive experience in programming languages such as Golang, Java or Kotlin.
- Experience designing and building large scale, distributed applications including making tradeoffs in architecture and functionality in a cloud environment.
- Experience operating production systems including defining metrics and processes for deploying changes to production reliably in live systems.
- Solid understanding of software engineering best practices, including coding standards, code reviews, source control management, build processes, testing, and operations.
- Experience building customer-facing products in the e-commerce domain.
- Experience with Elasticsearch, Kafka, Kubernetes, Docker and AWS.
- Experience working with relational and non-relational database systems
- Experience working in a high-paced start-up environment.
What we offer
- Meaningful work in a purpose-driven organization.
- Competitive compensation including equity.
- Unlimited vacation.
- Fitness reimbursements for health activities including gym, health club and training classes.
- A diverse and inclusive environment with colleagues from 80+ countries.
What we’ll provide you
We offer colleagues the opportunity to drive impact in the region while they learn and grow. As a Careem colleague you will be able to:
- Work and learn from great minds by joining a community of inspiring colleagues.
- Put your passion to work in a purposeful organisation dedicated to creating impact in a region with a lot of untapped potential.
- Explore new opportunities to learn and grow every day.
- Enjoy the flexibility that comes with the trust of being an owner; work in a hybrid style with a mix of days at the office and at home, and remotely from any country in the world for 30 days a year with unlimited vacation days per year.
- Access to healthcare benefits and fitness reimbursements for health activities including: gym, health club and training classes.