About the job
Careem is building the Everything App for the greater Middle East, making it easier than ever to move around, order food and groceries, manage payments, and more. Careem is led by a powerful purpose to simplify and improve the lives of people and build an awesome organisation that inspires. Since 2012, Careem has created earnings for over 2.5 million Captains, simplified the lives of over 50 million customers, and built a platform for the region’s best talent to thrive and for entrepreneurs to scale their businesses. Careem operates in over 70 cities across 10 countries, from Morocco to Pakistan.
Why join our journey
When you start your journey at Careem, you’ll be empowered to drive impact across a region of 600 million people, supported by our community of colleagues from over 75 nationalities whether you’re creating codes for our Super App or finding new ways to bring our platform to the people in your city.
Join us as we solve some of the most challenging problems that our region faces at scale while driving stellar experiences for our Customers, Captains (drivers), and Merchants. You will have the chance to work on cutting-edge technology with a diverse set of individuals across many geographies. You will also have the opportunity to learn and grow every day to develop alongside talented and inspiring people from around the world. As a colleague at Careem, you’ll be empowered to take ownership of your work, and be of service to our Captains, customers, and partners as we build the region’s Super App, all while shooting for the moon to create impact across the region.
About the team
The Platform Storage team focuses on enabling persistent storage technologies and taking cloud-native technology to the next level within Careem to help shape the future of the Careem Platform and to help us scale our already sizable effort greatly.
What you’ll do
As an engineer in Careem, you’ll build and maintain MySQL, Postgres, Cassandra, Kafka, OpenSearch & Redis clusters and their corresponding ecosystem required to ensure the resilience, reliability, and scalability of our services and speed up deployments with the aim of improving our products used by millions of customers every day. Key responsibilities include:
- Make an impact from the design phase, through the development and operation of the Storage cluster and its ecosystem on AWS
- Build support, and tooling and create technical processes that simplify and enable engineers across multiple services
- Identifying automating and scaling systems without compromising on security and reliability
- Participate in on-call rotations and help improve incident response
What you’ll need
- 8+ years of related experience
- Expertise and experience in developing, operating, and troubleshooting Storage clusters and/or other highly available systems at scale
- Good knowledge of one or more programming and scripting languages: Go, Python, Java, Bash, Ruby
- Experience with Cloud Infrastructure (AWS preferred)
- Experience with infrastructure automation (Infrastructure as Code)
- Strong Unix or Linux background, including topics around network stack and scripting
- Incident response and/or incident management experience is a plus
- Experience in other automation topics such as monitoring, CI/CD, security is a plus
Where you’ll be
- This role is part of a remote distributed team! This means you can be based in any of the countries where we currently have an engineering site. If you would like to join us in Dubai, Berlin, Ukraine, Russia, Poland, Pakistan, Egypt, Lebanon or Jordan, that’s fine with us (Visa permitting)!
- Even though we are working remotely, we are strong believers in collaboration and the power of building social connections with our teams. For that reason, our offices are still open and provide plenty of collaboration-friendly spaces at times when teams need it or if you need a quiet space to work outside of your home.
- You’ll be working in the location you’re hired from. Due to legal and compensation considerations, you will need to be based out of the country you’re employed from as your primary work location.
What we’ll provide you
We offer colleagues the opportunity to drive impact in the region while they learn and grow. As a Careem colleague you will be able to:
- Work and learn from great minds by joining a community of inspiring colleagues.
- Put your passion to work in a purposeful organisation dedicated to creating impact in a region with a lot of untapped potential.
- Explore new opportunities to learn and grow every day.
- Enjoy the flexibility that comes with the trust of being an owner; work in a hybrid style with a mix of days at the office and at home, and remotely from any country in the world for 30 days a year with unlimited vacation days per year.
- Access to healthcare benefits and fitness reimbursements for health activities including: gym, health club and training classes.