About the job
When you think of food delivery in the MENA region, we’d be pretty surprised if talabat didn’t pop into your mind first! Since delivering our first order in Kuwait in 2004, we’ve grown quite a lot over the past 17 years.
Today, we deliver hundreds of millions of food orders, grocery items and other products per year, to our customers in nine countries throughout the region with more than 3,000+ employees! Our food delivery business works with over 27,000 brands and almost 50,000 branches, while our q-commerce concept, talabat mart, now delivers groceries to customers in Bahrain, Egypt, Jordan, Kuwait, Oman Qatar, and the UAE in 30 minutes or less!
Our philosophy is to make sure we do what is right for our ecosystem – our customers, our partners, our people, our riders, and the communities in which we operate. Our #techforgood program allows our customers a safe and convenient way to contribute to important causes in their community through donating to local and international charities directly on talabat with a focus on food insecurity in the region. Since its inception in 2020, we have facilitated the donation of well over 1 million meals to those in need, as well as donated over $1.5 million to charity with the help of our partners and customers. talabat is part of Delivery Hero, the global leader in online food delivery and q-commerce.
We love finding new ways to shorten the feedback loops, create together and make an impact. To do so, our engineering culture and practices are based on
eXtreme Programming (XP), Domain-Driven Design, Lean and Continuous Delivery
We believe that the assumption behind the “Speed vs Quality” mindset is flawed and that you can both have your cake and eat it too. For us, quality enables speed. Not in 2 years, but now.
Co-creating together with others through Pair and Mob programming helps us deliver more value sooner and find joy in our work by seeking productive human connections with others.
We find that engineers seeking to understand our product and business better understand the context of their work, which helps them to innovate, deliver more value to their customers and find more purpose in their work.
- Alongside your cross-functional team (engineering, product, data), participate in continuous discovery of your customer/business needs/desires/problems to drive desired outcomes
- Design, write and release software as a solution to an end-to-end problem in your business domain and deliver value in small batches in accordance with our engineering standards
- Understand scalability & complexity of your services and own & innovate the entire SDLC
- Mentor and inspire other engineers and continually optimize your team’s practices to develop it into a self-organized, continuously improving unit
- Critically question and simplify our tech org systems/processes and solutions
On top of very good technical skills, this role requires someone willing to assume end-to-end ownership of a specific area/initiative and thrives on emphasizing with their user pains/desires/needs. You are keen to explore alternative ways of working that optimize for co-creation and continuous improvement.
The Following Experience Is Relevant To Us
- Empathetic and able to easily build relationships
- Good verbal and written communication skills
- Humble, curious, and open-minded with a growth mindset, thriving on continuous feedback
- Understanding of lean/agile values & principles and associated practices
- Ability to mentor other engineers
- 5+ years of software engineering experience, preferably within Extreme Programming environment (TDD, Pair Programming, Simple Design, and Continuous Refactoring)
- Proficient in testing with focus on automated end to end quality
- Deep experience in iOS-specific application development (Swift/Objective-C and well-known application frameworks), best practices, and publishing in the App Store
- Open to work with emerging mobile cross platform frameworks (example: Flutter)
- Strong understanding of the full mobile development life cycle
- Strong familiarity with the general mobile landscape, architectures, trends/emerging tech
- Familiar with Analytics and A/B testing tools
- Proficiency with continuous integration and continuous delivery tools and techniques to keep the development branch always in a releasable state
Working within talabat means access to perks and benefits that are adjusted to your circumstances:
- Dynamic & innovative environment where you’re not constrained by the boundaries of your role
- Building the fastest growing, largest and most valuable network of online food ordering services in the world
- Working with diverse, cross-cultural teams from over 50+ nationalities
- Company events, hackathons, cultural and sports events
- Comprehensive healthcare
- Relocation package
- Competitive remuneration