About the job
A Little Bit About Talabat
talabat is the leading online food and groceries ordering platform in MENA, operating in 9 countries across the region. Founded in 2004 by a small group of entrepreneurs in Kuwait, talabat’s success expanded to the rest of the GCC region, Egypt & Jordan, making it the largest and most popular food ordering app. With over 2,000+ employees and millions of users, we deliver hundreds of thousands of orders every day.
We are part of the Delivery Hero network building the next generation of online delivery platforms across the globe. Our network is truly international with engineering teams in 13 countries and operations in 40+ countries.
A Little Bit About Our Engineering Culture
We love finding new ways to shorten the feedback loops, create together and make an impact.
To do so, our engineering culture and practices are based on eXtreme Programming (XP), Domain-Driven Design, Lean and Continuous Delivery.
We believe that the assumption behind the “Speed vs Quality” mindset is flawed and that you can both have your cake and eat it too. For us, quality enables speed. Not in 2 years, but now.Co-creating together with others through Pair and Mob programming helps us deliver more value sooner and find joy in our work by seeking productive human connections with others.
We find that engineers seeking to understand our product and business better understand the context of their work, which helps them to innovate, deliver more value to their customers and find more purpose in their work.
- Alongside your cross-functional team (engineering, product, data), participate in continuous discovery of your customer/business needs/desires/problems to drive desired outcomes
- Design, write and release software as a solution to an end-to-end problem in your business domain and deliver value in small batches in accordance with our engineering standards
- Understand scalability & complexity of your services and own & innovate the entire SDLC
- Mentor and inspire other engineers and continually optimize your team’s practices to develop it into a self-organized, continuously improving unit
- Critically question and simplify our tech org systems/processes and solutions
NoteOn top of very good technical skills, this role requires someone willing to assume end-to-end ownership of a specific area/initiative and thrives on emphasizing with their user pains/desires/needs. You are keen to explore alternative ways of working that optimize for co-creation and continuous improvement.The following experience is relevant to us
- Empathetic and able to easily build relationships
- Good verbal and written communication skills
- Humble, curious, and open-minded with a growth mindset, thriving on continuous feedback
- Understanding of lean/agile values & principles and associated practices
- Ability to mentor other engineers
- 5+ years of software engineering experience, preferably within Extreme Programming environment (TDD, Pair Programming, Simple Design, and Continuous Refactoring)
- Proficient in testing with focus on automated end to end quality
- Experience in Distributed Systems Architecture (Microservices, Event-Driven, and RESTful Services)
- Experience working with relational and nonrelational databases
- Exposed to cloud platforms (e.g. AWS, Google Cloud, Azure)
- Experience building, maintaining and improving with Trunk Based Development and Continous Delivery