About the job
G42 Healthcare is an Abu Dhabi based health technology company active across data and AI, digital health, advanced OMICS, pharma, diagnostics and environmental sciences.
G42 Healthcare has recently merged with the healthcare arm of the Abu Dhabi Sovereign Fund Mubadala (Mubadala Health) creating a unique organisation with over 7,000 staff spanning omics, technology and healthcare provision.
G42 Healthcare is also the facilitator of the 1 million Emirati Genome Program, operating an NGS facility that can deliver over 500,000 whole genome sequences per annum. We have recently launched a regional partnership with Somalogic, establishing the first high-throughput proteomics facility in the Middle East, and also own the local Health Information Exchange called Mallafi.
As a Senior Backend Engineer, you will be responsible for designing, developing, and maintaining robust and scalable backend systems. You will work closely with cross-functional teams, including product managers and frontend engineers, to understand requirements and translate them into efficient and reliable backend solutions.
- Your primary function in this role is to design, develop, and maintain backend systems using Java, Kafka, REST APIs, and Spring Boot framework.
- Working in a collaborative environment with a Lead/Senior Developer, Product Manager, Engineering Manager or Solutions Architect.
- Mentor and provide guidance to junior engineers, assisting them in their technical growth.
- Containerize applications using Docker and deploy them on Kubernetes clusters.
- Collaborate with frontend developers to design and develop RESTful APIs that provide seamless integration between frontend and backend components.
- Write efficient and optimized SQL queries to interact with PostgreSQL databases.
- Ensure the quality of code through thorough unit testing and performing code reviews.
- Collaborate with other senior and entry-level engineers on this project with their expansion strategies, there is an opportunity for career growth in the digital solutions team.
- Troubleshoot and resolve issues related to backend services in a timely manner, including performance bottlenecks, scalability, and reliability.
- Optimize and fine-tune backend systems for performance and scalability.
- Monitor and maintain production environments, ensuring high availability and performance.
- Work closely with DevOps engineers to automate deployment processes and improve system scalability and resilience.
- Stay up to date with emerging technologies and industry best practices, and share knowledge with the team.
- Bachelor of Software Engineering, Computer Science or Similar relevant degree preferred.
- 5+ years plus industry experience
- Proficiency in designing and building scalable, fault-tolerant systems using Kafka and RESTful APIs.
- Strong knowledge of SQL and hands-on experience with PostgreSQL or similar databases.
- Deep understanding with containerization technologies like Docker and container orchestration platforms like Kubernetes.
- Experience working in UNIX/Linux environments, including shell scripting
- Strong understanding of unit testing principles and experience with testing frameworks like JUnit.
- Good communication skills and the ability to clearly articulate technical concepts to both technical and non-technical stakeholders.
- Familiarity with version control systems, such as Git.
- A high level of attention to detail and the ability to produce accurate and consistent engineering documentation
- Ability to work effectively in a fast-paced and dynamic environment.
- Strong communication skills both written and verbal
- Experience with Agile development methodologies is a plus.
- A desire to contribute to and maintain the company values and culture
- Knowledge of Python and GraphQL is a plus.
Posted on Aug 21, 2023.