About the job
Based in Dubai, Hello Chef is a rapidly growing e-commerce meal kit company. We’re looking to make people’s lives easier, healthier, and more memorable and to achieve that we’ve invested in hiring the best people and creating the best systems.
We’re currently looking for a Backend Developer to add to our high impact team. Reporting to the Engineering Manager, the ideal candidate will have strong experience in the development, testing, and implementation of new projects and features. You will interact with peers from all areas of the business to ensure new features help improve the customer experience, marketing, and operations.
This is a great learning experience for someone that is looking to further their software development skills in a high-growth environment. Upcoming projects that you will lead on are geared towards better customer retention through variety, personalization, and menu expansion.
We maintain a service-oriented architecture and we’re always pushing for improvements in our core technologies. We are also making strides in leveraging Machine Learning and AI to solve important customer and business problems. There are a variety of other great feature and engineering projects in the pipeline that you will take the lead on building. You’ll also get good exposure to other areas of engineering such as DevOps, Data Engineering, UI/UX, and ML/AI.
- The mission of the Backend Developer (SDE-II) is to develop and maintain a highly reliable and performant API that powers the Hello Chef website and business critical internal products.
Accountability, Goals, and Outcomes
- Implement product initiatives using software development best practices with near 100% test coverage for all new code contributions and on-time delivery.
- Develop highly performant new API endpoints (under 100ms response time) and take initiatives to improve existing ones by routinely reviewing SLOs (Service Level Objectives) and KPIs (Key Performance Indicators) such as Apdex score.
- Take accountability for a set of SLOs for your team’s product(s), and maintain them at 99.9%. (Measures: SLOs)
- Maintain Hello Chef API overall test coverage above 65%. (Number as of May 2023: 57%)
- Proactively identify and resolve issues reported in logging and monitoring tools such as Datadog and Sentry. Reduce the quarter on quarter reported issue count by 20%.
- Together with the team, consistently plan & achieve sprint goals while adhering to your team’s Definition of Done. This is measured by the team’s sprint velocity and sprint goal completion rate.
- Contribute to the Engineering department’s vision and long-term goals by executing on the technical roadmap and actively reducing technical debt.
What We’re Looking For
- A minimum of 4-5 years of experience with PHP
- A minimum of 2-3 years of experience with Laravel or Symfony
- Experience with unit, functional, and integration tests using PHPUnit or other equivalent frameworks
- Experience with MySQL database design and management
- Exposure to architecting and deploying applications in the cloud using technologies such AWS / Azure / GCP, Docker, Kubernetes, CI/CD and DevOps tools
- Experience with any logging, monitoring, alerting, or telemetry tools would be a plus
- Exposure to VueJS would be a plus
- Bachelor’s degree in computer science, computer engineering, or similar
- Having worked in an agile and fast-paced environment (ideally at an e-commerce or logistics company) would be a plus
- Strong communication skills: you possess the ability to communicate complex problems in a simple and effective way
- Fluent written and spoken English
What We Offer
· Flat hierarchies, constant learning, outstanding team atmosphere, and an international mix
· A full-time position with a competitive salary that will grow as you do
· Competitive package
· Medical insurance, 22 working days off a year, with an annual ticket home
· Relocation assistance to Dubai, if applicable
· 50% discount on your Hello Chef subscription, as well as other product initiatives
· Office Location: Dubai Investment Park, Dubai, UAE
· For immediate start
Are You Up For the Challenge?
If you meet the above criteria and are looking for a position that will grow your career and experience, please apply by attaching your CV.
” We believe a diverse workforce is a key ingredient in our recipe for success. At Hello Chef, we hire people from all walks of life – regardless of their ethnicity, race, gender, and religion. If you share our values and are looking for your next challenge, we’d love to hear from you.”